Pages

Friday, February 26, 2016

Getting to Fenway


Elise Amendola / Associated Press
Since this is a blog partially about my fandom, I'm going to start writing about it a little.

I try to get to a Red Sox game once a year. At least that's my plan now. Unfortunately last season, I wasn't able to make one, but I did in 2014 and 2013, and had quite the experience back in 2011. 

My family took a trip to Boston in 2011. The day of the game, it was warm and sunny, as you can see in the picture below.

That was about the only time we were that dry. Hurricane Irene came through almost as soon as the game started. It was brutal. There were multiple delays throughout the game.

 It even got to the point where the bleachers flooded and all fans sitting there had to go into the concourse. The stairs to the concourse were basically a waterfall at that point as well. 



When we were eventually let back to our seats, we moved under an overhang to keep from getting completely soaked through. While the grounds crew worked to get the field playable, the Patriots pre-season game against the Lions was put up on the video board and fans were actually cheering for them.

It was a great environment. Everyone who stayed through the first game was offered free admission to the second leg of the double header that day. The Red Sox won both games against the Oakland Athletics as well.

In the summer of 2013, a buddy and I took a road trip to see the Red Sox battle the Yankees. It turned out to be an amazing game.

Originally, Jon Lester was supposed to pitch against CC Sabathia, which would have been an epic match up, but Lester went down with an injury shortly before the game and Ryan Dempster started instead.

After 11 innings and four hours of battling it out, Mike Napoli hit a shot right next to where we were sitting in the bleachers. That'll be one of the best games I've ever been to.

The game two seasons ago was against the Orioles, and I was lucky enough to see another walk off. Dustin Pedroia scampered home and scored on an error.

So after two walk offs in a row, I'm hoping to get back to Fenway soon to see more Sox wins. It's a place every baseball fan should visit.